Which soccer ball is the best?
While Americans love their football around the world, football is the most played sport in the world. This means that there are many manufacturers who manufacture and sell soccer balls. If you are not sure what to look for you might think that all soccer balls are pretty much the same. This is not the case.
The best soccer ball will be sized for your needs and durable enough for heavy use. The adidas Starlancer V Club soccer ball, for example, is a premium option that comes in three sizes and features machine stitching for added durability.
What to know before buying a soccer ball
Soccer balls are available in different sizes
You may never have noticed it, but soccer balls come in five different sizes. The best size to use depends mainly on the age of the player.
- Size one: These soccer balls are 18-20 inches in circumference and are great for young children who just want to have fun. Alternatively, they can be used by an older player to develop their skills.
- Size two: These soccer balls are 20-22 inches in circumference and are perfect for ages 3 to 5. Like size one, you can use these balls to build your skills.
- Size three: These soccer balls are 23-24 inches in circumference and are suitable for ages 5-8. This is the smallest size you will see in competitive play.
- Size four: These soccer balls are 27-28 inches in circumference and are suitable for ages 8-12. The slightly smaller size of this soccer ball allows the player to hone their skills to be ready for a regulation size ball in a few years.
- Size five: These soccer balls have a circumference of 27 to 28 inches and are the official size for international play. They are best for ages 12 and up.
There are different types of soccer balls
Depending on where you play, different soccer balls may meet your needs better. In addition to an official size five ball for outdoor play, there are a few common options.
- Beach soccer balls: These are lighter than regular soccer balls, so they are easier to hit with bare feet.
- Grass footballs: These are a bit stronger to hold onto the rougher playing surface of artificial turf.
- Indoor soccer balls: These soccer balls have less bounce. This way, they’ll bounce less when hitting harder surfaces, such as the walls of an indoor play area.
- Futsal footballs: These soccer balls are similar to indoor soccer balls except that they are size four and can sometimes be made with a felt or suede wrap for easier ball control on slippery surfaces.
What to look for in a soccer ball
The best size five balls will have a stamp that says âFIFA Inspectedâ or âFiFA Approvedâ. This lets the buyer know that these soccer balls meet all FIFA standards for size, weight and more.
The bladder is what holds the air inside a soccer ball. There are two main types: latex and butyl. A latex bladder is softer and feels better, while a butyl bladder holds air better but creates a harder ball.
The color and design of a soccer ball is largely a matter of preference. The two key things to remember are that bright colors tend to be easier to see, and high contrast patterns help a player identify which wall the ball is spinning on. Some manufacturers even make lighted up soccer balls for night time play.
How much you can expect to spend on a soccer ball
For recreational use at home, you can get a soccer ball for under $ 25. However, you could spend up to $ 50 or more on youth sporting events. On the other hand, high-end soccer balls can cost over $ 150.
Soccer ball faq
How to maintain a soccer ball?
A. To maximize the life of your soccer ball, inflate it to the proper pressure and do not sit on it and hit it against a stationary object, such as a wall. Either of these actions can cause the ball to lose its shape. It is also important not to play on rough or abrasive surfaces as this will cause the ball to wear out more quickly. It is also a good idea to wipe down your soccer ball with a damp cloth after each use.
How to store a soccer ball?
A. If you won’t be using your soccer ball for long periods of time, deflate it a bit to reduce stress on the seams and bladder. In addition, store your soccer ball in a dry place at room temperature, away from temperature fluctuations and the elements. Also, remember not to store your ball where it will be exposed to the sun.
What are the best soccer balls to buy?
Best soccer ball
Adidas Starlancer V Club soccer ball
What would you like to know: This is a premium quality soccer ball designed for rugged play.
What you will love: The Adidas Starlancer V Club soccer ball is made from 100% thermoplastic polyurethane. It has a butyl bladder for better air retention and machine stitched seams for durability. The ball can be hand washed for easy maintenance.
What you should consider: The ball comes with stickers that are difficult to remove.
Or buy: Sold by Amazon
Best soccer ball for the money
Champion Sports Viper Soccer Ball
What would you like to know: This is an affordable, well-constructed soccer ball that is suitable for ages 8-12.
What you will love: The four-ply soft-touch thermoplastic polyurethane coating of this ball helps it withstand vigorous play. It features a unique star pattern for easy distinction, while the airlock bladder keeps air inside the ball to maintain shape and pressure during use. This soccer ball is available in other sizes.
What you should consider: As with the other options shipped home, this one arrives deflated.
Or buy: Sold by Amazon and Kohl’s
WILSON Traditional Soccer Ball
What would you like to know: If you are looking for a traditional design soccer ball from a trusted manufacturer, this option will meet your needs.
What you will love: This ball features the traditional white and black pentagon design. It is available in sizes three, four and five. With the synthetic leather cover, this ball has a balance of durability, flight and control.
What you should consider: Some users felt that this bullet was not as durable as the more expensive options.
Or buy: Sold by Amazon
Register here to receive the weekly BestReviews newsletter for helpful advice on new products and great deals.
Allen Foster written for BestReviews. BestReviews has helped millions of consumers simplify their purchasing decisions, saving them time and money.
Copyright 2021 BestReviews, a Nexstar company. All rights reserved.