Trial to open next month over spectacular German jewelry theft

0

A court has said six men will stand trial in Germany next month for their alleged role in the spectacular 18th-century jewelry theft from a museum in Dresden in 2019

BERLIN – Six men will stand trial in Germany next month for their alleged role in the spectacular theft of 18th-century jewelry from a museum in Dresden in 2019, a court said on Wednesday.

Dresden State Court said the trial would open on January 28, German news agency dpa reported. The suspects, German nationals aged 22 to 28, are charged with organized theft and arson. Hearing dates are scheduled until the end of March.

Prosecutors say the men are responsible for breaking into the Eastern City’s Green Vault Museum on November 25, 2019 and stealing 21 pieces of jewelry containing more than 4,300 diamonds, with a total insured value of at least $ 113.8 million. . euros ($ 129 million).

They allegedly started a fire just before the break-in to cut off power to streetlights outside the museum, and also set fire to a car in a nearby garage before fleeing to Berlin.

Research so far has not revealed the missing treasures. Prosecutors said in September that the suspects, who are all in custody, had not responded to the charges against them.

The Green Vault is one of the oldest museums in the world. It was created in 1723 and contains the treasure of Augustus the Fort of Saxony, comprising around 4,000 objects in gold, precious stones and other materials.

Source link

Disclaimer! NewsConcerns is an automatic aggregator of all media in the world. In each content, the hyperlink to the main source is specified. All trademarks are the property of their rightful owners, all documents are the property of their authors. If you are the content owner and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – [email protected]. Content will be removed within 24 hours.


Source link

Share.

Comments are closed.